Birth mothers and birth fathers often come into our adoption agency and ask why adoptive families are choosing to adopt a baby. There are so many reasons why, but the primary reason is fertility issues. Studies on adoption indicate that 95% of families choose to adopt because of fertility issues and that 1 in 8 couples experience difficulty getting pregnant or sustaining a pregnancy.
Other reasons adoptive families choose to adopt a baby include the following:
- An adoptive mother may have medical issues that would make a pregnancy a health challenge.
- Genetic disorders may run in the adoptive family’s health history, and parents may have concerns about passing down specific genetic disorders.
- An adoptive mother may be a single woman, or an adoptive father may be a single man, and alone single parents cannot conceive a child.
- The adoptive family may be a same-sex couple.
- The adoptive family may have a connection with adoption; they may have an adopted family member, be adopted themselves, or just love the concept of adoption. They may know other people who were adopted or have adopted and seen it as a positive way to grow a family.
- The adoptive family may already have biological children and experienced issues with their last pregnancy, thus deciding it is not in their best interest medically to biologically conceive another child themselves.
- Some adoptive families feel called to adopt a baby for various reasons, including faith, environmental or humanitarian concerns, or other reasons.
- Some adoptive parents want to help. They understand how much dedication a child requires, and they understand that a birth family may not be able to provide the life they want their baby to experience and need another family to step in on behalf of the child.
Adoption Can Make Dreams of Starting or Growing a Family Come True
As a birth mother, it is important to understand that adoption is always the beginning, never the end. Adoption may not have been your dream, but adoption is the dream of another woman who may not be able to conceive. All of the hopes and dreams you have of the life you want for your unborn baby can still happen. In an open adoption, you can remain in your child’s life in a different role. Adoption opens the door of those hopes and dreams you have for your child. Sometimes the best choices are the hardest choices. A strong woman chooses life, but an even stronger woman chooses adoption.
Building Arizona Families Helps Adoptive Families Adopt a Baby and Create Forever Families
Choosing adoption means choosing an option with support, aftercare, and access to financial resources. Learn more about what unplanned pregnancy help is available at AZ Pregnancy Help HERE. Adoption is a beautiful choice and increasingly becoming a more popular choice. If you are pregnant and are considering adoption, we are a licensed, full-service, non-profit Arizona Adoption Agency called Building Arizona Families. We believe in adoption aftercare services and have a program on-site to provide continued support through the Donna K. Evans Foundation. You can contact us 24/7 at (623) 695-4112. You are not alone, and we want to help, thank you for considering adoption, you are making an amazing choice.