What factors contribute to a successful private adoption? Do you think it is an adoption where both birth and adoptive parents are happy with their adoption plan or their mutual adoption journey and the relationship between them? Building Arizona Families is a non-profit, Arizona local, licensed, and internationally accredited adoption agency. BAF works with AZ Pregnant Help to ensure women experiencing crisis pregnancies have the support and attention they need during this time.
Building Arizona Families has been serving families since 2005 and diligently finding as many homes as possible for babies and children in need of a forever family. Each adoption is personal to us. With many of our BAF staff personally connected to adoption through being adopted themselves or adopting their child(ren), we treat everyone on their adoption journey like family.
Birth Parents and Adoptive Parents Influence the Success of the Adoption Journey
Building Arizona Families have found some essential factors for a successful private adoption may include:
- Adoptive Families have a more significant influence over their adoption success than they may realize.
- When you create your adoption profile book, make sure you send a copy of it to the adoption agency. Most birth parents love to keep a copy of the adoption profile and memorize it during their pregnancy. It also gives them comfort to see the adoptive family’s photos repeatedly, the house the baby will live in, and the people their baby will be surrounded by.
- If you have an open adoption and live out of state and the birth mother is open to you traveling to see her before she delivers, do it! It is much easier to build a relationship over the phone, Skype, or Facetime if you have met in person. Often, meeting in person will show your birth mother how much she means to you and the sacrifices and lengths you are willing to go to establish a lifelong relationship with her.
- Use your telephone calls to find out about the birth parents. Ask questions that you will be able to share later with your child. Ask questions like:
- Their favorite childhood book, animal, color, gemstone, food, clothing brand, etc.
- Their favorite holiday and holiday tradition.
- Their favorite childhood memory.
- Learn about their siblings.
- Find out if they have any special skills or talents?
Birth Parents can also influence the success of their adoption by doing the following:
- Adhere to commitments. We all can overcommit, but it is crucial to make sure your adoption plan is a priority; this is the time to build a relationship with your adoptive family:
- Attend doctor’s appointments.
- Stick to the telephone or communication schedule with the adoptive family.
- Adhere to all the adoption agencies’ requests to ensure that they have everything they may need from you; insurance paperwork, signed affidavits, copies of birth certificates, etc.
- Show your adoptive family how committed to the adoption you are:
- Include the adoptive family in doctor’s appointments.
- Discuss naming the baby with them.
- Share information about yourself, like your favorite colors, things to do, movies, books, etc. This will allow your adoptive family to get to know you.
- Be open and honest with your adoption agency about anything they may need to know to present this information to the adoptive family. The more open and honest you are, the better foundation you can build for a lifelong relationship with your adoptive family:
- Disclose any drug use during your pregnancy.
- Any information surrounding the birth father.
- Previous medical history.
Building Arizona Families can Help You Begin an Arizona Adoption Plan Today
If you are experiencing an unplanned pregnancy in Arizona and considering private adoption and want to learn more or explore your options, we are here for you. We are available 24/7 by phone or text at (623) 695-4112. We can make an immediate appointment with you to get started on creating an Arizona adoption plan or give you more information.
Choosing adoption means choosing a courageous option with support, aftercare, and access to financial resources. If you are pregnant and considering adoption, Building Arizona Families is a licensed, full-service, non-profit Arizona adoption agency. We believe in adoption aftercare services and have a program on-site to provide continued support through the Donna K. Evans Foundation. You are not alone, and we want to help. Thank you for considering adoption for pregnant mothers; you are making an amazing choice! Call or Text us at (623) 695-4112 or introduce yourself to us online HERE. We look forward to hearing from you!